The Anglesey headlines on Day Two at the Natwest Island Games in Gibraltar…
Patrick Harris is Ynys Môn’s hero in Gibraltar after he clinched their first medal at the Island Games in Gibraltar.
On the second day of competition, Harris threw a personal best of 12.58 metres to win bronze in the men’s shot put final at Lathbury.
Sarremaa’s Genro Pass took gold (14.82m) with Erik Larsson clinching silver (13.87m) for Gotland.
Medal prospects also look good for Dominic Breen-Turner, who moved from 7th to 4th after the second day of the Laser Standard Rig sailing. He also won the first of the two races held on Monday – with six more to be held in the coming days.
And after a first round exit in the team tennis tournament, Sion Myers eased through to the last sixteen of the men’s singles with a straight sets victory (6-2, 6-1) over James Buxton from the Isle of Man.
In the badminton, Ynys Môn lost 4-1 to Bermuda in the knockout stages of the team event – but went onto beat the Western Isles 3-2 in a play-off match to secure 15th place.
Day one in the swimming pool saw Eve Goddard-Smith qualify for the women’s 100m butterfly final – where she finished in sixth (1:04.41) – a mere half-a-second off the medals.
The men’s medley relay team had to settle for last place (1:53.62) in the 4x50m final, having qualified earlier in the day.
Back on the track at Lathbury, Zach Price progressed through to the final of the men’s 200m, where he finished in eighth spot, but also clinched an all-time Môn record. Guto Tegid also finished 8th in the men’s 400m hurdles.
But Cai Roberts produced a strong performance at the end of the day – coming in fifth in the men’s 3,000m steeplechase (10:56.80).
Jersey overtook arch rivals Guernsey on the medal table to go top with no fewer than thirty honours – ten gold, ten silver and ten bronze.
Guernsey remain second with 27 medals (seven gold, 13 silver, seven bronze) with the Isle of Man in third (seven gold, four silver and seven bronze)
Now, the results in detail…
Men’s 400m hurdles – heat 2
4th) Guto Tegid (58.85) – qualified
8th) Guto Tegid (59.54)
Women’s 100m – heat 2
7th) Amelia Hucks (13.8) – did not qualify
8th) Erin Maloney (14.4) – did not qualify
Men’s 200m – semi final 2
4th) Zach Price (22.89) – qualified
8th) Zach Price (23.56)
Men’s Shot Put final
3rd) Patrick Harris (12.58m)
Men’s 3,000m steeplechase final
5th) Cai Roberts (10:56.8)
Group Semi Final
Bermuda 4-1 Ynys Môn
– Men’s singles: Mathew Rankhenhon (Môn) bt Andy Lau 2-0 – 21-6, 21-6
– Ladies’ singles: Emma Lee bt Hannah Lloyd (Môn) 2-0 – 21-12, 21-19
– Men’s doubles: Mark Haugen / Daniel Hughes bt Elis Matthews / Lee Matthews (Môn) 2-0 – 21-10, 21-7
– Ladies’ doubles: Hiral Parekh / Zichen (Zoe) Wang bt Hannah Evans / Katherine Lemon (Môn) 2-1 – 21-11, 20-22, 21-13
– Mixed doubles: Denzel Simons / Hiral Parekh bt Morgan Shaw / Yvonne Matthews (Môn) 21-12, 21-10
Ynys Môn 3-2 Western Isles
– Men’s singles: Mathew Rankhenhon (Môn) bt Michael Jefferson 2-0 – 21-4, 21-6
– Ladies’ singles: Beth Macphail bt Hannah Evans (Môn) 2-0 – 18-21, 11-21
– Men’s doubles: David Fraser / Kedar Nath Paul bt Lee Matthews / Morgan Shaw (Môn) 2-0 – 15-21, 22-24
– Ladies’ doubles: Lowri Jones / Hannah Lloyd (Môn) bt Lynsey Mackenzie / Beth Macphail 2-0 – 21-11, 21-9
– Mixed doubles: Mathew Rankhenhon / Katherine Lemon (Môn) bt Michael Jefferson / Eilidh Morrison 2-0 – 21-9, 21-6
Laser Standard Rig – after four races
4th) Dominic Breen-Turner – 1st place in race 3, 4th place in race 4
Automatic Ball Trap Team – Open final
12th) Iolo Edwards (65 points) / Alex Sainsbury (84 points) – team total: 149 points
Women’s 100m Butterfly – heat
5th) Eve Goddard-Smith (1:05.11) – qualified
6th) Eve Goddard-Smith (1:04.41)
Men’s 100m Breaststroke – heat
12th) Michael Leonard (1:10.18) – did not qualify
Women’s 50m Breaststroke – heat
17th) Emily Williams (38.14) – did not qualify
DQ) Lauren Jones
Women’s 200m Freestyle – heat
16th) Jessica Parry (2:19.68) – did not qualify
Women’s 4x50m Freestyle Relay – heat
11th) Lauren Jones / Jessica Parry / Hollie Tomblin / Emily Williams (2:00.93) – did not qualify
Men’s 4x50m Medley Relay – heat
8th) Daniel Bennett / Jac Jones-Hughes / Michael Leonard / Llion Myers (1:54.4) – qualified
8th) Daniel Bennett / Jac Jones-Hughes / Michael Leonard / Llion Myers (1:53.62)
TEN PIN BOWLING
11th) Susan Jones (823 points) / Sharon Owens (569 points) – team total: 1392
12th) Annetta Davey (559 points) / Susan Evans (605 points) – team total: 1164
11th) Steve Evans (735 points) / Alun Jones (708 points) – team total: 1443
12th) James Davey (652 points) / Luke Evans (675 points) – team total: 1327
Men’s Singles – second round
Sion Myers (Môn) bt James Buxton (Isle of Man) 6-2, 6-1
Meanwhile, several appeals in the wake of the women’s team cycling on Sunday evening saw the Ynys Môn squad of Tamara Walton-Evans, Sally Rigg, Ceri Jones and Anne Glover pushed up from 7th place to fourth – just outside of the medals.
Cycling at the Games resumes on Tuesday with the men’s and women’s time trials.
– Ffion Roberts in the women’s 400m final and Lucy Lawrence in the women’s 1500m final – plus Gethin Hughes in the men’s 110m hurdles final
– Races five and six for Dominic Breen-Turner in the Laser Standard Rig sailing
– David Parry (no. 5 seed) takes on James Brannigan (Bermuda) in the second round of the men’s singles tennis – while Sion Myers takes on Gavin Manders (Bermuda – no. 4 seed) for a place in the quarter finals