Bangor banned: City suspended by FAW

Bangor City have been suspended from all competitive football for at least three weeks.

The crisis-hit Nantporth club is appealing the FAW’s decision to deduct 21 points for breaching league rules last season, including fielding ineligible players.

An independent arbitration hearing has been scheduled for Friday 16th August.

But the FAW confirmed on Monday night that City’s opening Cymru North league fixture at home to Colwyn Bay – due to be played the following day – has been postponed until a later date.

City’s first round tie in the Nathaniel MG Cup, against Conwy Borough, was also postponed last Saturday, pending the outcome of the arbitration hearing.

In a statement, the club confirmed it was suspended from all association football activity with immediate effect, but added they were still preparing for the new season.

The FAW said the decision, made by the Officials Committee, also affected both Holywell Town and Welsh Alliance club Llandyrnog United – with both clubs potentially facing last-minute promotion and relegation if City lose their appeal.

Holywell, who were relegated to Division One of the Welsh Alliance, could yet take Bangor’s place in the JD Cymru North at short notice – whereas Llandyrnog United would be relegated to Division Two. The two clubs finished in the bottom three of their respective leagues last season.

A spokesperson for Holywell Town said the club was seeking clarity from the FAW about its statement – referring to the matter as a ”long drawn out disciplinary case”.

Under Rule 35, the FAW can suspend competitive action at any club or ground – it can also extend or shorten the season where necessary.

A spokesperson added: ”Using its plenary powers to make emergency decisions…the committee have implemented FAW Rule 35 against three clubs, Bangor City, Holywell Town and Llandyrnog with immediate effect and up to a maximum of seven calendar days after the judgement of the arbitration hearing, in order to protect the sporting integrity of the competitions that these three clubs are scheduled to participate in.”

”The FAW will be making no further comments at this stage.”

In June, the FAW halved a 42-point deduction against City – but the club was fined £700 after being found guilty on seven charges. They remain under a transfer embargo until the end of the year.

But following their initial appeal, the club said they intended to clear their name and appeal the 21-point deduction.

If it’s upheld, City have suggested they could take the case to the Court of Arbitration of Sport. They’re also facing a further charge of fielding an ineligible player.

In the meantime, City have arranged a friendly at home to an under 23s team from Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Eich Gorsaf, Eich Llais / Your Station, Your Voice