Woman dies after Bethel campsite incident

Family photo (Facebook)

A woman who was hit by a car while on a camping holiday has died in hospital.

Mother-of-two Anna Roselyn Evans was staying at the Rhyd y Galen campsite near Bethel when a vehicle crashed into two tents.

Mrs Evans (46) from Aberystwyth, was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor with life threatening injuries and later transferred to a specialist unit at the Royal Stoke University Hospital.

The mother of two, who worked at Aberystwyth Arts Centre, died on Tuesday night.

Paying tribute, Mrs Evans’ son described her as ”my mother, my best friend (and) my rock”.

Two men and a woman were also injured in the incident on Monday 19th August.

Two days later, Jake Waterhouse (26) of Partington, Greater Manchester, admitted four charges causing serious injury by dangerous driving and driving without a licence or insurance.

A second man arrested after the incident was released on bail, but remains under investigation while police inquiries continue.


In a Facebook post, Richard Evans said: ”Tonight I had to say goodbye to the most amazing woman I’ve ever known. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do.”

”She inspired me to do music, art and to always ‘do the next interesting thing’. I know I’ll do you proud. I love you, Mam. I hope you’re dreaming of a starry night. Here’s to the next interesting thing.”

In a statement, Aberystwyth Arts Centre described as Mrs Evans as ”a valued member of the team” and a ”much loved member” of the town’s artistic community.

They added: ”We are deeply saddened at the news of her untimely death and extend our sympathies to all her family at this most difficult time.”

DI Andy Gibson from North Wales Police said: ”Our thoughts are with Mrs Evans’ family and friends at this very sad and distressing time for them.”

”The investigation into this tragic incident continues and we are liaising closely with the Crown Prosecution Service.”

Llandudno Magistrates Court heard Waterhouse drove a friend’s car around the campsite after drinking heavily, crashing into two tents occupied by four people.

He pleaded guilty to four charges, including failing to provide a breath sample for analysis, but did not enter a plea on a fifth charge of dangerous driving.

The defence said Waterhouse was ”deeply remorseful” and ”deserved to be punished” for his actions – he took ”full responsibility” and accepted he was facing a ”lengthy sentence’‘.

Waterhouse is on remand in custody until Monday 23rd September, when he will appear before a judge at Caernarfon Crown Court.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Eich Gorsaf, Eich Llais / Your Station, Your Voice