WATCH: Stricken yacht rescued off Skerries

RNLI / Craig Stalman

Two people have been rescued after a yacht ran aground off the Skerries.

The all-weather lifeboat from Holyhead was called out at just after 1.50pm on Sunday afternoon, after the 25-foot vessel was caught on a rock in the lagoon during a falling tide.

RNLI / Craig Stalman

An RNLI spokesperson said when the lifeboat arrived at the scene near Carmel Head, the yacht could not be removed, so the smaller Y-boat was launched to check the condition and placing of the vessel.

The two people on board were brought back to shore at Holyhead at just after 5pm.

RNLI / Simon Price

The volunteer crew left the stricken yacht after consulting with the Holyhead coastguard, but returned at around 7pm once the tides had risen.

The D-class inshore lifeboat Mary and Archie Hooper joined the larger Severn-class all-weather lifeboat Christopher Pearce for the rescue operation.

RNLI / Simon Price

The inshore lifeboat was used to manoeuvre the yacht into a safe position and the crew waited for the vessel to rise with the tide before it was moved into deeper water.

The all-weather lifeboat then towed the vessel back to the mouth of Holyhead harbour, before the inshore lifeboat was stood down and returned to its station at around 11.15pm.

The yacht was taken to the mouth of the inner harbour and had its propulsion checked before it was taken to the marina and back to her own berth at the port. The Christopher Pearce crew finally returned to its base at 12.15am – nearly ten and a half hours after the initial callout.

Craig Stalman, duty coxswain, said: ”It was unusual for us to be called out in such calm conditions, there was a big spring tide of eight knots running around the Skerries, and the crew all worked together to achieve a successful outcome…the sailor had entered the lagoon successfully, but had taken the incorrect passage out.”

”As we waited for the tide to rise, we were accompanied by dozens of seals who seems to be enjoying the spectacle.”

WATCH: RNLI footage of the yacht rescue off the Skerries

David Owens, the launch operations manager at Holyhead said: ”It was a great team effort from all of the crew, who once again showed their immense skill and dedication. Thankfully, both the casualties and our volunteers all returned safely to shore after several hours at sea.”

”This incident shows how, even in calm weather, the tides can render even an experienced sailor helpless. Thankfully, he had means of calling for help, and did the right thing in contacting the coastguard.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Eich Gorsaf, Eich Llais / Your Station, Your Voice