One of Anglesey’s two recycling centres will reopen next week after lockdown measures were eased.
But island residents are being warned they must book a visit to the Penhesgyn recycling centre in advance and only if it’s essential.
The household waste disposal site, near Menai Bridge, will resume its services on Tuesday 2nd June – it will be open each weekday between 10am and 4.30pm. The Gwalchmai recycling centre will stay closed for the time being.
Anglesey Council says there may be significant demand to use the Penhesgyn site, which will follow strict social distancing conditions.
The council’s chief executive, Annwen Morgan, said: ”Our waste management team has been working hard during recent weeks to ensure that we can reopen our household waste recycling centres, starting with Penhesgyn, in a safe manner.”
”They have developed a cautious and gradual approach to bringing this important service back to normal over the coming months.”
”The health and safety of residents and our staff must come first and those visiting are asked to follow the guidance in place and observe the social distancing when on site.”
Earlier this month, the Welsh Government gave permission for local authorities to plan the reopening of recycling centres and libraries.
Most county councils are set to reopen sites on Tuesday (26th May) – in Gwynedd, recycling centres will be reopened at Bangor, Caernarfon, Dolgellau, Harlech and Pwllheli. But the five centres will only accept advanced timeslot bookings.
The new guidelines for visiting the Penhesgyn recycling centre include:
- Do not visit if you or anyone in your household is self-isolating, has symptoms of Covid-19 or is currently shielding.
- You must only visit if you cannot safely store your waste/recycling at home. Only go if it is essential.
- Only cars will be allowed on site.
- No trailers, vans or pick-ups will be allowed on site, even if with existing permits.
- Only one person to travel per car – the driver only will be allowed access.
- Adhere to the traffic management system and signage instructions on site.
- It’s essential that you remember to observe social distancing and any other safety messaging in place.
- Council staff will not be able to help you with any manual handling – only bring items you can lift and manoeuvre safely yourself
- Be patient and respect the staff working at the centre at all times.
- Householders will not be allowed on site to deposit waste if they fail to adhere to the conditions of use in place.
A bulky waste collection service will also be gradually introduced as an alternative – initially with only limited booking slots available via phone.
Councillor Bob Parry, the executive member for waste management, added: ”There is likely to be significant demand for the service during the first week, so we would ask residents only to visit Penhesgyn if they cannot safely store their waste or recycling at home for the time being.”
”Please only go to there if your visit is essential and you meet all the access requirements. The safety of the public and our staff is paramount, and the guidelines in place should be followed at all times.”
A council spokesperson said the Penhesgyn site would reopen first because it was a large split-level site with good traffic management in place. The Gwalchmai centre was not an option because it was close to the A5 and could lead to potential traffic risks.