Gerald Corrigan: murder detectives carry out road checks

Family photo: North Wales Police

Detectives have carried out road checks as they step up their efforts in the Gerald Corrigan murder hunt.

An underwater search team has also carried out a coastal search near the remote home where the 74 year-old was shot on Good Friday.

Mr Corrigan died earlier this month at the Royal Stoke University Hospital from ”horiffic injuries”.

In an overnight six-hour operation on Thursday night (23rd May) and early on Friday morning (24th May), police spoke to 25 people, including drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, along South Stack Road, near the junction with Porthadafarch Road and Plas Road.

The road checks marked five weeks since the crossbow shooting which triggered the biggest murder investigation on Anglesey since 2001.

More than forty police officers are involved in what’s been dubbed as Operation Blue Fulgent, based at a major incident room in Llangefni police station.

In a fresh appeal, DCI Brian Kearney said: ”It is important for us to capture witnesses and people who may have information to assist our enquiry…we are seeking to establish any information relating to the victim, vehicles or people seen in the area at the relevant time that might explain how Gerald came to sustain the injuries which then led to his death.”

”I am very grateful to the public for their help and support to date. However, the answer to this crime lies with one or two key members of the public who know or have suspicions regarding the identity of the person or people involved.”

”I appreciate you may be a friend, partner or family member of the person or people involved. Please do the right thing, come forward, and tell me or my team the vital information you have.”

Mr Corrigan, a retired photography and video lecturer, moved from Lancashire to Anglesey more than twenty years ago.

North Wales Police

He was fixing a TV satellite dish outside his home when he was shot through the upper body and right arm at around 12.30am on Friday 19th April.

He was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor but later transferred to the specialist trauma unit in Stoke where he died from his injuries on Saturday 11th May.

DCI Kearney added: ”Gerald Corrigan was 74 years of age – a pensioner who lived a in a remote and beautiful location. He died a cruel and slow death after struggling for survival for three weeks. This Bank Holiday weekend, he should have been with his family and friends enjoying his retirement.”

”We need your help – come forward – speak to me and my team in total confidence. We are determined with our communities and visitors help to trace whoever was responsible for this, as a matter of urgency.”

Officers will now review the information collected during the road check operation.

Anyone with information about the crossbow shooting should contact Llangefni CID on 101, quoting Operation Blue Fulgent, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Eich Gorsaf, Eich Llais / Your Station, Your Voice