City in crisis: electricity and water cut at Nantporth

Electricity and water supplies have been cut at Bangor City’s ground in a dispute over two unpaid bills.

The troubled Huws Gray Alliance club says its facing demands for £16,000 for energy supplies and £9,000 for water.

The club claims it owes a total of £80,000 in debt, including unpaid wages for staff and players and compensation for a former groundsman.

It follows widespread speculation on social media over the club’s future, after bailiffs were spotted at the club on Monday night. An Academy training session, due to be held at the ground, was cancelled.

A club spokesman said the electric bill was ”unjust” but insisted talks were continuing to settle the two supply bills. He added City had faced cashflow problems because the FAW had yet to release funding.

It’s another twist in a turbulent era at City, who were relegated from the Welsh Premier League in April after failing to secure a domestic licence for financial reasons.

A spokesperson said they faced both demands on Monday – the electric bill had been used by both the football club and Nantporth CIC. The club is solely responsible for the water bill.

In a statement, he said: ”We understand Nantporth CIC are in the process of changing over to a different supplier for the 3G pitch floodlights which makes up a majority portion of the overall bill. This has not happened as yet. However, unjustly the bill is in the name of Bangor City Football Club.”

”Bangor City’s creditors list is approximately £80,000 in its entirety. This includes bringing players and staff wages up to date as well as paying compensation to our former groundsman.”

The club has fought off two High Court winding up orders and a bid to be struck off the companies list, but crowds at league fixtures have slumped with fans boycotting games amid ongoing questions surrounding the club’s ownership.

City has also lost a number of key players in the January transfer window – with fans favourite Les Davies joining WPL strugglers Llandudno and top scorer Alex Darlington joining Maltese side MOSTA FC, linking up with Bangor’s ex-director of football Stephen Vaughan Jr.

Last month, it was reported the club was in ‘advanced’ talks about a possible takeover bid – but there have been no further developments since.

But on Tuesday, the club said it was very close to securing a new sponsor for the Nantporth stadium, adding talks had continued with investors and sponsors for the past two months.

On the field, City are due to face Gresford Athletic at home in the Huws Gray Alliance on Saturday – their first game since the Welsh Cup derby defeat to Caernarfon Town, which attracted a record Nantporth crowd of 2,486.

Detectives are still appealing for witnesses after clashes broke out among fans in Upper Bangor before last Saturday’s fourth round tie, leaving a police officer injured.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MônFM

Eich Gorsaf, Eich Llais / Your Station, Your Voice