999 hoax caller admits attacking police officer

A court has heard a Llanfairpwll woman attacked a police officer after she made two hoax emergency calls.

Anita Jones (34) was given a suspended jail sentence after she admitted four charges of making malicious phone calls and assaulting police.

Llandudno magistrates heard Jones called 999, claiming to be her sister and alleging that Jones had hanged herself.

Prosecutors said officers were sent to an address in Bangor on a blue light response, but it was quickly established that nothing had happened.

When the phone call was traced to another house in Llanfairpwll, officers found Jones drunk and turning aggressive. She denied making the phone call, but it was traced to her mobile phone.

As she was being arrested, Jones hit out at an officer by kicking near the top of their leg.

In a similar incident, Jones made another call from the same house last Saturday, claiming a woman had self-harmed themselves in the bathroom.

She was again found drunk and promptly arrested. Jones tried to kick the same officer and bite her arm as she was being handcuffed.

The defence said Jones had only a ”vague recollection” of what happened and was ”ashamed of herself”, adding that alcohol was ruining her life.

District Judge Gwyn Jones said immediate custody was more than justified, but agreed to a plea from the defence to draw back. He said Jones was motivated to take advantage of help and support.

Jones’ six-month prison sentence was suspended for a year. She was told to pay £300 compensation to the police officer and another £207 in costs.

She must also attend 15 days of rehabilitation and carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and a nine month alcohol treatment order.

After sentencing on Monday, a North Wales Police spokesperson said Jones had shown ”total disregard for the public service she abused.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Eich Gorsaf, Eich Llais / Your Station, Your Voice