Y Felinheli: woman taken to hospital after house fire

A woman is recovering after she was rescued from a house fire in Y Felinheli.

Three crews were called out to the blaze in the first floor bedroom of a house at Brynffynnon at just after 10.40am on Tuesday morning (11th February).

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the woman tried to tackle the fire herself before she was brought out from the smokelogged property by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

She was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor for a check up.

An investigation found the fire was started by radiated heat from a lamp which had fallen onto bedding. It caused severe fire damage to the bed and smoke damage to the entire house.

Jane Honey from the Fire Service said the occupant of the house was lucky to escape without serious injury.

She added: ”The best advice we can give to residents confronted with a fire in their home is to get out, stay out and call us out – do not try and tackle the fire yourself.”

”I feel it’s important to highlight how the actions of residents upon discovering a fire can mean the difference between life and death.”

”The fire appears have been caused by radiated heat from a lamp falling onto bedding. Lamps, especially those that use halogen bulbs, can give off enough heat to ignite combustible objects.”

”As general advice we advise that you follow best practice and that you are sure your lamps have fire-resistant lampshades and never put anything over a lamp, like clothes or a blanket are a safe distance from flammable objects. Also, be sure that the light bulbs you use are the correct wattage for your lamp or lampshade; if the wattage is too high it can start a fire.”

It took over an hour for crews from Bangor, Caernarfon and Menai Bridge to put out the fire.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MônFM

Eich Gorsaf, Eich Llais / Your Station, Your Voice