Smoke alarm ‘could have saved’ Bethesda fire victim

An inquest has heard a taxi driver from Bethesda could have survived a house fire if he had fitted a smoke alarm.

Michael Beeby (57) suffered smoke inhalation in a fire at his home on Coetmor Road in June. He died from smoke inhalation in hospital.

An investigation found the blaze was started by a carelessly discarded cigarette which set alight a bag of combustible material.

The Caernarfon hearing was told Mr Beeby may have gone to bed without realising what happened.

Crews from Bangor and Llanberis were called out to the property the following morning and rescued the sole occupant. He was treated at the scene, then taken by air ambulance to the Royal Stoke University Hospital.

Coroner Dewi Pritchard Jones returned a verdict of accidental death.

After Tuesday’s inquest, Geraint Hughes, an investigator with North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: ”I would like to pass on my condolences and deepest sympathy to the friends and family involved in this tragic incident.”

”This demonstrates fire can strike anywhere, anytime and highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home, and testing them regularly.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Eich Gorsaf, Eich Llais
Your Station, Your Voice