Bangor City will not go ahead with legal action against the FAW’s decision to refuse the club a domestic licence.
It means City will play in the Huws Gray Alliance next season, ending 26 years of top-flight football in the Welsh Premier League. The club has also delayed its announcement of a new manager to replace Kevin Nicholson.
Directors at Nantporth announced last month they were preparing to mount a legal challenge over the decision to refuse the club a Tier 1 licence following an appeal. But the board admitted on Wednesday there was no guarantee that their case would be successful.
In a statement, a club spokesperson said City had been ”exhausting every avenue to try and get the decision overturned”, including taking the case to the High Court and the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
But after seeking further legal advice from barristers and solicitors, they said: ”With the financial pressure involved to pursue this legal matter it would leave the club in a perilous position and could have significant implications on the immediate return to the Welsh Premier League.”
The statement added that a new accounts team had been hired ”to ensure that this situation never arises again and that the tier one licence will be obtained next season…Bangor City FC will have a budget in place to enable the new management team to compete at the top of the Cymru Alliance as well as compete strongly in all cup competitions.”
City previously said its bid for a domestic licence – a prerequisite for playing in the Welsh Premier – failed on financial grounds, although the FAW has given no official reason why their application was dismissed.
City said it had yet to be told whether it will still compete in the Irn Bru Cup, having finished in runners-up spot in the WPL last season – but it expects a response by early June.
The club’s new management team was set to be announced on Thursday, but a press conference at Nantporth has now been delayed until 2pm next Wednesday (23rd May).